Showcasing new additions to my Etsy store, current artwork, digital work, fabric designs, show reviews, customising work, and anything else that appears inspiring.

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

More Resin...

As the previous resin pieces came out so well, I just had to make some more on Monday. I even managed to take pictures of the resin curing to show how the resin and hardener blend together.

rectangle curing

On Tuesday I made even more and this is what I ended up with.

Circular pieces:


And cubes/rectangles:

cube pieces

I then marked them all up for drilling holes so they can be used later.

I have taken enough pictures to create a step-by-step guide in making these so if you are interested then let me know!

Friday, 23 July 2010

Resin beads

I picked up the white poly resin on Wednesday, which is a 1:1, ratio mix (I checked) and immediately had to try it. Firstly I made some plain pieces using an ice-cube tray and produced these:

white cubes

Then I used a drill to put holes in them so they can be strung together with elastic/thread etc.

Then I decided to do some with embellishments inside them, i.e. beads, here are the results of my first batch:


The resin cures in only 20 minutes so you can make plenty in a day but this was only about 45 minutes total from beginning to end of practising.

Monday, 19 July 2010

Resin 1st attempt

On Friday I attempted my first ever batch of resin moulding and unfortunately it did not go well.

Firstly I mixed the resin ratio 1:1 as the instructions in my book told me to however I later found out from the supplier that the resin and hardener should have been mixed as resin 100:1 hardener. And so I believe the resin was far too runny to harden properly and has turned to an almost jelly like state.

However before this I poured the solution into my moulds and for some reason put them in an oven, then to find out the resin had turned orange and the moulds had melted. Whoopsy!!!!!

Here is a picture of the resin that didn’t go into the oven.

1st resin try

It looks as though little crystals have started to form in the resin and you can see it pulling away from the edges of the container. Also the colour from the feathers has been washed out almost completely.

I think I will be mixing it as the supplier suggests from now on!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...